Sunday 8 December 2013

This morning with the sun shining I decided to make a 2nd visit to Hemsted Forest to see if I could see the Two-barred Crossbill, having seen the Parrot Crossbill on my previous visit. I only had to wait about 20 minutes before it showed up the isolated Oak Tree, where it's been regularly seen. About 10 Common Crossbills also seen. There was a suggestion yesterday that the Winter Moth might have been a Northern Winter Moth, which would be a new species for my garden, although I did record this species at my previous address. However, it was a small specimen with brownish hind wing. This morning there was another slightly larger "Winter" Moth near the trap and I examined a bit more closely. This is a better marked specimen, but the wing length was 14-15mm and again the hind wing was brownish so I guess it's another Winter Moth.
 Two-barred Crossbill
 Common Crossbill
 Winter Moth
 

1 comment: