Tuesday 2 July 2019

The hot weather has meant the moth trap has finally got going after a slow start to the summer. We've reached the end of another moth and I was surprised to find that I've recorded 193 species so far this year which is actually 5 better than the same stage last year. There have been a few new micros but it's always nice to get a Barred Straw and Common Emerald, neither of which are common in my garden. At Dungeness last Friday I was pleased to see a Red-veined Darter dragonfly on the track past Hayfield 2. I have only ever seen this migrant species on the Dungeness RSPB Reserve but this was the first for 19 years. We also saw a large fly on the Willow Trail which was Tachina grossa, the UK's largest Tachnid.
 Red-veined Darter

Barred Straw

 Common Emerald

Tachina grossa
 

No comments:

Post a Comment