Monday 1 January 2018

We've reached the end of another year which proved to be a very good one for the moth trap with 378 species recorded which was 60 more than my previous best, and included 11 new macro species and 20 new micros, which in the 18th year of trapping is quite surprising, and I guess must be due to the excellent warm weather in early summer. My best records were the Clifden Nonpareil in the Autumn and the White Spot on 2nd June. I was also pleased to record some relatively common species which were firsts for the garden, which included Small Elephant Hawk-moth, Scorched Wing and Shoulder Stripe. Further afield I was also very pleased to get an opportunity to photograph Fisher's Estuarine Moth, a local rarity.
Clifden Nonpareil

 White Spot

Small Elephant Hawk-moth

Fisher's Estuarine Moth

ScorchedWing

No comments:

Post a Comment